9.04.2013

Summer Delights - Napa


Summertime and food…. Yumm!

 

Second stop on the summer food train – Napa.  The first stop was a return visit to Sift the bakery which won on Cupcake Wars on the Food Network a few years ago.  The selected flavors of the day – Vanilla (may sound a bit plain Jane, but it was delicious, very moist), and Pink Champagne.  I had the Pink Champagne last year, and it was calling my name again this year.

 

Next, I wanted to visit the Soscal Café.  I had heard about it during last year’s visit
and never made it so this year I was determined to do so.  The Soscal Café is a little, greasy spoon, hole-in-the-wall.  It had six or seven booths and about 12 spots at the counter that was it.  It was clean and neat yet warn in and comfortable, definitely a local spot.  I had the Huevos Rancheros and my friend had her favorite Breakfast Burrito.  The Huevos Rancheros were different than any I have had before with black beans and the tortilla underneath the mount of Mexican goodness was a crispy, fried flour tortilla.  The whole concoction was very yummy!

 

Note – When I told some of my Napa friends that that I visited the Soscal Café they were very surprised.  Basically, with all the great restaurants in Napa, why the Soscal Café, it’s such a greasy spoon?  That was the point!  And they all agreed it has great food with generous portions.

 

A quick shout out to Vallergas Market a very upscale, home-grown version of Whole Foods with gourmet fare, pre-prepared food stations, great looking produce and meat counter.  But for me the best part was the tea aisle.  I always stop at markets outside of my neighborhood to see if they have any type of ginger peach tea (my favorite).  Vallergas carries the brand Tea of the Republic (which can be found at Whole Foods or Cost Plus) but they carried the flavor, Tea of Inquiry which is a green tea with toasted brown rice.  I know it sounds kind of funny, but it is delicious and I have not been able to find it for about three or four years.  SS introduced me to green tea this way, and it is still my favorite green tea (plus it was a SS recommendation so I have fond memories.)

 

Then it was back to Taqueria Maria for a Huevos con Tocino breakfast burrito (eggs and bacon with beans, sour cream and salsa.)  So yummy, and a good compliment to the Chorizo burrito I had last year.  The guys who run this place are very friendly and accommodating, plus I was able to call my order in then walk over and it was ready to go.

 

Everything was delicious, I’m looking for more Napa adventures next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment