12.17.2012

Twelve Days of Sauce - Tenth Day


Pan Gravy, mmmmm….  What doesn’t Pan Gravy go on?

 
Years ago, I started watch my grandmother, Nana, make gravy at Thanksgiving – she was the master.  Mom always had a container of Wondra sitting by the stove when it came time for gravy, but Nana just needed plain old flour.  I learned to make gravy at Thanksgiving with Wondra because it was the only way my gravy did not clump.

 
Then a few years ago I was out of Wondra when HH wanted something that required gravy so I very hesitantly started making gravy with regular flour.  So I was making gravy successfully all the time.  Now with things like Chicken Fried Chicken or Holly’s Diner Special Chicken I need some gravy and pan drippings are not always readily available, but I have mastered the Pan Gravy.

 
I know it is equal portions of fat (whether drippings or butter) and flour, then milk, but I didn’t know the exact proportions.  I also learned that if you heat up the milk a bit before adding it to the fat and flour things will blend together better too.  And don’t forget to really cook the flour, meaning, let it cook in the fat for a few minutes before adding the milk or things just won’t taste right.

 
Today, by chance, I was watching the Food Network and I hear the gravy ratio (which sounds about right) – 4:4:2.  That is, 4 tbsp fat to 4 tbsp flour to 2 cups milk.

 
Here’s how to make it:

 
Pan Gravy

4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
2 cups warm (not hot) milk

In a skillet on medium heat, add butter and melt.  Add flour and stir constantly for about 3 minutes.  Then SLOWLY add the milk, whisking constantly at a simmer.  At the end if your gravy looks too thin, turn off the heat and let it sit a minute, it will thicken up pretty well, then you can always add more warm milk to thin it if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment