4.02.2012

Asparagus

Can you believe it, this is the first time I have EVER purchase, cleaned or cooked asparagus!

I have eaten it, and I like it, but never bought it to fix at the Diner. So the other night it was time for something new. The question, how to cook it - but first, how to prep it.

I think asparagus is the vegetable that I have seen that “it tells you” what to use and what to loose, that is, when you bend it it will break at the place to eliminate. Hopefully that was right because that’s what I did. Then a recipe - HH suggested looking through Julia’s Mastering the Art for a classic, delicious recipe, so I did. Julia suggested boiling it and I didn’t want to do that. So I found a recipe for roasting, very simple, very quick and hopefully very good.

To make sure the asparagus has good dinner companions, it was chicken fried chicken (HH’s favorite at the Diner), mashed potatoes and pan gravy. As for the asparagus, the spears where cleaned, laid out on a baking sheet, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Then the spears were roasted in the oven at 450˚ for 15 minutes.

Looky here!



HH and I agreed the asparagus was different than we had ever tasted, but very delicious. The tender ends were slightly crispy and the whole spear was delicious, especially when we drug them threw a little gravy.

Hum, asparagus, a new item on the Holly’s Diner menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment