11.06.2011

Last Stop, Downtown Homewood

My last day in Alabama, I spent the morning in downtown Homewood. I walked downtown (after dropping off Miss Audrey’s lunch at school, which she forgot since she was distracted by an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras.) It was a beautiful, brisk fall morning, the last day of October. The fall colors were the best they have been of all my visits, the leaves were falling; being bundled up in my field coat and scarf was just right.

I passed the Piggly Wiggly, went past the mortuary and turned right at the top of the hill that led to the village of Homewood. I window shopped, browsed through the stores, reminded myself not to fritter any money and thought about what would actually fit in my suitcase for the flight home.

In the end it was Savage’s Bakery that was calling my name – no harm in Halloween cookies, they would be gone before my flight the next AM. 




And then down to Sam’s Sandwich Shop.





John and I were supposed to meet at Sam’s, but I got done with my window shopping before the appointed time. So I called John to see what he wanted from Sam’s – a Slaw Dog, no onions with chips and a Coke. After much deliberation (I thought the chicken salad sandwich looked good until I noticed the pickles and that was out; the Super Dog looked interesting but upon inquiring, it was just a hot dog with extra meat on top, not my style) I settled on a Chili Dog, “with everything?” I was asked. What is everything? Chili, onions, mustard - I opted for their tradition and a sweet tea (of course!)

John picked me up at the back door of Sam’s, told me about the latest breaking news on the sports radio station – the Kardashian/Humphries divorce – and we went back to the house to enjoy dogs from a Homewood institution (not to mention hole-in-the-wall).




The chili dog was delicious. The sweet tea was fabulous. And spending time chatting with a southern “boy” from Auburn was a fitting way to conclude this year’s Southern culinary tour.

I’m already looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment