7.23.2011

Brie En Croute

I was inspired by this recipe seven years ago. By inspired, I mean running across it, printing it and putting it in my recipe binder.

I was inspired again last November when I found it in a magazine. I clipped it out and, again, put it in my recipe binder.

Then a few weeks ago HH and I went to a house warming and there it was…a Brie En Croute! My mouth watered the moment I lifted the lid on the chafing dish and saw it. I cut a piece, added a few crackers and purposely walked away. (“Walk away from the Brie En Croute!”) It was as delicious as I anticipated and I was inspired to make my own.

After a visit to Costco and scoring a 16 oz. wheel of brie for a little over $5, I was inspired again.

The next visit to the grocery store sent me on a search for puff pastry sheets and I ended up with a package of phyllo dough.

Then last night was the night. I decided at the last minute that Brie En Croute was going to be the featured item on the menu at the Diner that night. Just Brie En Croute, who would need more? Well, maybe some homegrown yellow pear tomatoes to round things out.

So I pulled out the recipe. HH asked how long. And my first stumbling block. Always remember to REALLY read the recipe a day or so before the intended service. The phyllo dough takes five hours to thaw, preferably in the frig.

Okay, no worries, plan B and off to the store HH and I went. I got cresent rolls since I knew there would be now thaw time. Back to the Diner we went. Wrapping the brie in the cresent roll wasn’t as pretty as the photos I’ve seen but it would still work. Hmm, and the recipe calls for an 8 oz. brie wheel and I have a 16 oz. brie wheel, well no problem, just a little more baking time and part of it covering the pastry so it doesn’t turn black.

After 30 long minutes the Brie En Croute was done. I took it out, it was beautiful with the shiny egg wash and soft to the touch – not the pastry but the insides. Good sign, so the brie was melted. I let it sit. Waiting, waiting, waiting…

After about 15 minutes (that’s all the waiting I had in me!) I cut into it. And the hot molting lava of brie came flowing out!! With my mouth watering and my stomach grumbling I sat down with my dinner. It was everything I had hoped for – delicious, creamy, warm, flaky pastry, worth the wait.

HH tried it too, he liked it. Next time he might indulge when I do (instead of waiting to see the outcome) so the brie is a bit softer and more spreadable.

Next time, though, I would cut the 16 oz. brie in half; I would buy the puff pastry sheets in the freezer section that I saw but didn’t think were right; I would add some caramelized onions and some herbs (rosemary or thyme, perhaps)between the brie and pastry.

If you are so inclined to try, here’s my recipe for a savory version.

Brie En Croute
1 package of cresent rolls dough
1 16 oz brie wheel, cut in half (save the other half for next time)
1 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
¼ sliced onion, caramelized in olive oil
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 375ยบ.


Cover cookie sheet with aluminum foil, spray foil with non-stick cooking coating. Roll cresent dough out on foil, place ½ of brie wheel on dough. Top brie with rosemary and caramelized onions. Fold cresent dough over top of brie and coat generously with egg wash. Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 15 minutes, pull out cookie sheet and cover pastry with additional piece of foil, cook another 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut and serve with crackers and slices homegrown tomatoes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment