1.14.2011

Dadday's Cookies

I think I told you about the recipe Anna shared with me last year, now one of my treasured recipes. It’s a cookie recipe that my dad wrote out after an oh-so-Daddy find.

Daddy and Anna were out yard saling close to home one morning, just blocks away from their house. There was a little girl out front selling homemade cookies and in typical Daddy style, he bought a few for a morning snack and help out the girl’s cookie fund.

Apparently, he liked the oatmeal and coconut infused cookies so much, he drove back over to the house and asked the family for a copy of the recipe. He wrote out the recipe in his distinctive handwriting – that of a sign guy. Anna said it was the only cookie that she remembers Daddy ever baking. She said she arrived home one day and Daddy had followed the recipe; the house smelled great and all 14 dozen cookies sitting on the counter!

When Anna shared the recipe with me, I was so excited, really wanted to make the cookies, but the “1 ½ cups flared coconut” held me back. Coconut is not one of my favorites, it’s a textural thing. But I decided for Christmas cookie baking last month, it was time to honor Daddy. My friends who I bake with agreed to help so we took the recipe for 14 dozen and divided it into thirds – 1/3 with no coconut, 1/3 the way the recipe was written, 1/3 adding chopped pecans.

I tried them all, they were delicious! Maybe it’s not coconut I don’t like, just fresh shredded coconut. (They are in the bottom left hand corner and in the middle of the cookie extravaganza from Christmas, above.)

Anna tried the cookies, she said the only difference was that I did them in a drop cookie form, and Daddy did them in a pressed cookie form – his came out crispier than mine, but all delicious.

If you are so inclined, here’s the recipe for Daddy’s Cookies with Daddy’s notes.

Daddy’s Cookies
2 cups butter – bar type (I think this means sticks of butter not a tub)
2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups sugar
2 tps vanilla
4 eggs – Second Natural (Daddy was on a low cholestorel diet)
3 cups sifted flour
2 tps salt
2 tps baking soda
6 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 ½ cups flared coconut

Cream together butter, brown sugar, white sugar until fluffy; stir in vanilla, then add eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, add to creamed mixture, stir in rolled oats and coconut. Drop ty teaspoon about 2” apart. Bake 350º, 10-15 minutes. Walnuts (options, or pecans).

Makes 14 dozen.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment