11.12.2010

Mole Mole Chili

This is my new favorite chili!

I was thinking about the fabulous chicken mole my friend Luis and his wife Diane shared with me a year ago. And since it’s Bowl Season (as in dinner-in-a-bowl, not football bowls), I got to thinking about a mole chili and the possibility of the deliciousness. So I Googled mole chili, of course a ton of entries appeared - apparently this is
not as original idea as I thought.

I noticed that Rachael Ray had a pretty simple Chicken Mole Chili recipe, which I printed out and began to consider. Ancho chiles, good. Bacon, yummy! Ground chicken, check. Cocoa powder, chili powder, coriander and cinnamon, excellent.

As I continued to read and consider this recipe, I realized that I needed to make some significant changes to serve it for the first time at the Diner. Most notably, I wanted to use some of the Abuelita chocolate instead of cocoa powder.


Then I realize that all that ancho chile (three whole chiles!) was not the best way to start a chili that HH will enjoy. Finally, I really didn’t want to use two pounds of meat, I wanted some beans.

Then came a trip to the store for supplies and the recipe changed even more – ground turkey instead of ground chicken.

I started the chili, making all of my ingredient changes and couldn’t find the cinnamon! How could I be out of cinnamon? I just used it a few weeks ago. I kept looking and looking and realize the cinnamon I used last (and there was an abundance) was at SS’s when I made Gingerbread cupcakes with Miss Audrey.

Oh boy, this recipe is changing.

I got everything in my beautiful red enameled cast iron pot. It smells delicious. I added a bit more of the disk of Abuelita chocolate, but afraid to add too much especially since I didn’t have any whole ancho chiles in the mix.



Rachael Ray’s recipe was to be done in 30 minutes, but I thought it was too runny and wanted to cook it down. So I did, for 90 minutes.

I made so many changes to this recipe, I think I can know call it my own!

I served it up to the guests at the Diner, HH being the key. This chili was delicious! Oh my gosh! There was a hint of chocolate, and I had added enough ancho chile powder that everything balanced out. Wow! I am definitely making this again and again and again.

Here’s the recipe…

Mole Mole Chili – Holly’s Diner style
1 tbps vegetable oil
6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 ¼ lbs ground turkey
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Sea salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 can (14 oz) black beans, rinsed
1 can (14 oz) chili beans, rinsed
1 can (14 oz) pinto beans, rinsed
½ disk Abuelita chocolate, shaved
2 tbsp ancho chili powder
1 tbsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 32-oz container chicken stock
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese for topping
Sour cream for topping


In a large Dutch open or stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook over high heat, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned. Lower the heat, add the yellow onion and garlic and cook until softened. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Stir in tomato paste. Stir in roasted tomatoes, beans, chocolate, ancho chili powder, coriander, cinnamon and simmer for a few minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a low boil.

Lower heat to allow chili to simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve in bowls (of course!) and top with cheese and sour cream as desired.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I bet you could do all the combining and browning on the stove, as you said, but then throw it in the oven for the rest of the time. Thats how we do stew here, avoids having to stir and worry about it on the stove. Love the bean variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me also. I would limit the amount of beans. Not such a fan.

    ReplyDelete