10.16.2010

What's Cookin'?

What’s Cookin’ where you are? For the past nine years I have spent the first two weeks in Fresno for the Big Fresno Fair, BFF for short. This year, I’m at the Diner! Not in the 90º+ weather, but enjoying the overcast and potential rain. I’m cooking and harvest (the last of the season) and getting ready for “The Twelve Days of…” at Christmas.

As I update you in the next few days on What’s Cookin” at Holly’s Diner, share what’s cookin’ where you are. It's meal-in-a-bowl season here, HH's favorite!

In the meantime, I have a quick sugar story. So today I’m working on two recipes for “The Twelve Days of…” and I need some powdered sugar to finish a frosting recipe. I only have about a cup of powdered sugar on hand and need three cups (so I didn’t do a very good job of adding that to my shopping list yesterday!)

I looked on-line “powdered sugar substitute.” Something came up that said I could measure out granulated sugar, put what I needed in the blender and blend on high until powdered. There were a few reviews that followed that confirmed this worked. Great, I thought. So I tried.



The problem: Dang!

The blender stopped working before the sugar was fully powdered. The frosting was a little “crunchy,” it gave it texture.

2 comments:

  1. You have to be careful with those "substitutions". My sister made biscotti once using semolina. As a cookie they were awful. As a tool to scrape the dead skin off one's feet, they were great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the part - $1.50, shipping $4.99. Still looking.

    ReplyDelete