9.01.2010

Autographs

It’s been a summer of autographs, in my cookbooks, of course.

It started in June during the San Diego County Fair with Alton Brown, who was on-site filming a portion of an upcoming series for the Food Network. I talked to my friends and was able to get my copy of Feasting on Asphalt signed by Alton.

Then Guy Fieri arrived for his weekend show. I sent my books back stage, and again my friends were able to get Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and More Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives signed by Guy.

(A little back story - I knew that Guy had done other live shows like this before, but word was that when he and his crew arrived on-site they talked to the San Diego County Fair crew about the potential size of the crowd. Guy had played to an audience of a couple hundred, but not a couple thousand! Guy had done shows in more theatre-style, so the grandstand set-up was a whole new thing. Everyone made it work, and the crowd loved it!)

I just got a Deen Family Cookbook signed by Paula Deen a few weeks ago. It was a special through the Food Network, and I’m happy to have it in my collection.

In July when I was at the Gilroy Garlic Festival (GGF), I realized I had another signed cookbook. I think it was 2008 when two of the stars of the GGF came out with their own cookbook – Any Bozzo Can Cook by SakaBozzo, Twins Separated at Birth. Sam Bozzo and Gene Sakahara may not look like twins (or even brothers for that matter), but they are brothers in the kitchen, for sure.

When I got back from the GGF this year, I was looking through my autographed version of Any Bozzo Can Cook, remembering there was a recipe Sam came up with inspired by the movie, The Big Night. The recipe is Timballo di Maccheroni e Melanzane. Sam based this on an amazing looking dish which was the highlight of the night in The Big Night.

Anyway, I started going through Any Bozzo Can Cook just to see what I had missed the first leaf-through. And low-and-behold! There was a recipe from Sam’s neighbor, and Chef at the Bevi Bistro, Don! Don’s White Sauce!

This winter, I’m going to be making Don’s White Sauce, especially since HH loves Alfredo sauce. And next year, if I am lucky enough to return to the GGF, I’m going to add Chef Don’s autograph to my cookbook collection. Can’t wait!

By the way, if you are interested in your copy of Any Bozzo Can Cook, you can order one through:
SakaBozzo
Gene Sakahara
7200 Yorktown Drive
Gilroy, CA 95020

3 comments:

  1. I will just have to order that cookbook. Do you think you could have him autograph mine also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy to make that happen for DiAnne! Let me know and I'll pick one up, have it signed and send it south.

    ReplyDelete