7.21.2010

Taiwan Tastes

So I’m back in San Jose, on my pre-Garlic Festival visit, and of course Donna and I stop at Taiwan Restaurant in Willow Glen.

We enjoyed crispy Fried Wontons, surprisingly savory Money Bags, sweet and crispy Honey Walnut Shrimp, and Broccoli and Cashews (we had to have some vegetables). We were stuffed and had enough left over for lunch the next day.

Then a surprise arrived, Donna’s sister-in-law Terry (one of the hostesses) sent over Taiwan’s Fried Bananas with chocolate sauce. They were crunchy and light outside, yet creamy and sweet inside – so delicious! We each had one, and since I hadn’t sampled these before I took a picture for the Diner, which I normally would not write about but it was different this time…

Donna and I were talking about HH’s surprise of Mastering the Art of French Cooking and contemplated more fried bananas, when two young ladies and their mom approached our table. The girls said they were curious and wanted to ask (I was sure they were going to talk to Donna something, she knows everyone in San Jose!)…was I a food critic? They saw me taking the picture and just wondered. Oh my gosh! No, I said, and I explained about Holly’s Diner, my trips to San Jose, Honey Walnut Shrimp. What a surprise! Maybe I would have some new guests stop by the Diner!

On our way out, we stopped by their table to see what they were having. Samantha, Madeline and their Mom were having Broccoli Beef, Chicken Chow Mein and Green Been Chicken – it all looked wonderful. We talked about Julie & Julia, the movie and the book and the inspiration for Holly’s Diner.

So here’s a “shout out” to Samantha and Madeline - thanks for stopping by the table and being curious, what a compliment; keep enjoying the Taiwan; and stop by the Diner any time, its open 24 hours a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment