5.22.2010

Huevos Rancheros

The best Huevos Rancheros I have ever had were in Puerto Vallarta at the Ocho Cascadas resort in the penthouse made by Chila the “cook.” Technically, Chila is the cook assigned to the penthouse at Ocho Cascadas. In reality, Chila is the authentic food magician who makes the most amazing homemade Mexican food I have ever tasted.

When HH and I visited two years ago with his Uncle Forrest at Ocho Cascadas, we were able to select what we wanted for breakfast (and lunch and dinner) just about every day. At the first opportunity, I selected Huevos Rancheros. We sat at the table under the covered patio, enjoying the unobstructed view of the ocean and were served the most amazing Huevos Rancheros I have ever had. When Forrest asked me what I wanted the next morning, I hesitated for a moment and said “Huevos Rancheros.” If I had the opportunity, I was going to have them every morning we were there. That option was not favored by all, but I was able to have Chila’s amazing eggs, and other delights, day after day.

Wonderful eggs, homemade refried beans, homemade salsa, the freshest tortillas ever, fresh squeezed orange juice; great company, a spectacular view, so amazing!

Now back home and back to reality, the closest thing to Chila’s Huevos Rancheros are the Huevos Rancheros at Shirley’s Restaurant, just down the street from the Diner. Shirley’s Huevos Rancheros are the first ones I fell for, and have not found any as good near the Diner.

A few weeks ago, my friend TT and I enjoyed a Sunday breakfast at Shirley’s and I had (of course) Huevos Rancheros while TT enjoyed the Eggs Benedict. TT let me sample a bit and the Eggs Benedict were delicious too!
I continue to think about, and savor the taste, of Chila’s Huevos Rancheros.

No comments:

Post a Comment