1.12.2010

Pie Crust

I have never in my life attempted pie crust, until yesterday.

I have always thought it was one of the hardest things to get right and the possibility for failure was so great. Then Melissa d’Arabian came along.

Last summer I watched Melissa on The Next Food Network Star, watching her surprise the other contestants by preparing a savory pie during, and pleasing the judges with the pie’s taste and texture. Then on her first show in August, she made a Potato-Bacon Torte with this pie crust. It looked easy enough that even I could do it. I printed the recipe, looked at it for months, and then yesterday…

I successfully made pie crust! This savory Potato-Bacon Torte (with green onions and 150% more bacon) was beautiful, flaky, tender, delicious. On my first try! Amazing! I am Queen of the Diner!

When I served it last night, HH saw how excited I was about this. As we took a seat at the Diner, he waited with great anticipation to watch me take my first bit, making laugh from the intensity. Then he tried the torte, didn’t say anything, got up and headed down the hall to do something very naughty. I won’t tell you what, but I will say I heard the toilet seat lift!

With his next bite he said it was delicious!

Now, I have to say the entire process to an hour and a half to prep, then 50 – 60 minutes to bake. So it’s not a quick dish, not something I’m going to serve every day at the Diner, but now I KNOW I CAN!


Here’s the pie crust recipe in case you want to give it a go:

Pie Crust


by Melissa d’Arabian of the Food Network

1 cup butter (2 sticks), cubed and chilled
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
8 – 10 tbsp ice water

Put the butter, flour, and salt in the food processor, and pulse lightly just until the mixture resembles wet sand. Add the water, 1 tbsp at a time, pulsing briefly after each spoonful of water. Keep adding water until the dough just begins to gather into larger clumps. Transfer equal amounts of dough into 2 resealable plastic bags and pat each into a disk. Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Remove 1 of the disks from the bag to a flour coated surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a 10-inch round. Gently fit the rolled dough into a 9-inch pan, and refrigerate while you prepare the torte ingredients.

Yield: 2 – 9” pie crusts

3 comments:

  1. looks beautiful! I think you are ready to roll with my sister. She's the queen of the bistro when it comes to pie crust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren. That's high praise, given my first attempt! Tell Katherine I'm "ready to roll."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks perfect! I like savory pies like this and I might give this one a try, despite the 2 1/2 hour time.

    ReplyDelete