12.12.2009

Twelve Days of Cookies - Tenth Day

Okay, this is not a cookie, but this recipe cannot be missed during the holidays.

I used to experience Donna’s homemade Peanut Brittle just after the New Year. She had some left over from the holidays, and the first day I arrived, I would just eat and eat Donna’s Peanut Brittle as if it was my last opportunity for something sweet – ever!

I’ve always liked Peanut Brittle, but Donna’s is different. Donna’s Peanut Brittle is lighter in texture and color, it’s not as translucent (if you can use that word for peanut brittle), it’s more opaque. Although it is still very crunchy or “brittle-y” (if that’s a word), it is not nearly as difficult to chew as other peanut brittle. Donna’s Peanut Brittle is, somehow, not as hard.

It’s actually been a few years since I have visited in Donna (and Art, at the time) and had any of Donna’s Peanut Brittle. I guess the good news is I don’t have to walk an additional 10 blocks in the morning – in addition to the 10 blocks that go along with Oatmeal Brownie Gems – this time of year.

Donna’s Peanut Brittle

1 cup sugar
½ cup Karo syrup (white)
1 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter
1 tsp baking soda

1. Mix well sugar and syrup and cook on high in microwave for 4 minutes.
2. Stir in 1 cup peanuts; cook 4 minutes on high in microwave.
3. Stir in vanilla and butter; cook on high for 1 minute in microwave
4. Stir in baking soda and spread out on cookie sheet for 1 hour. (Then smash to desirable size.)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love peanut brittle! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such good stuff! If you have the time, make it! I'm spoiled and will only eat Donna's Peanut Brittle made by Donna!

    ReplyDelete