12.08.2009

Twelve Days of Cookies - Sixth Day

I found this recipe in The Mini Page of the newspaper in 2004. I thought it would be a great new recipe, not quite the beloved gingerbread, just a little different.

Anna helped me, and we modified the recipe based on the ingredients at the Diner and Anna’s taste. So I guess it officially becomes a Holly’s Diner recipe because of the modifications.

The next year, Anna came over to bake and we wanted to make the Spice Cookies again, they were so good the year before. I looked and looked for this recipe – high and low, far and wide – everywhere and any where I could think of that I would have saved it and I could not find the darn thing! I finally resorted to contacting The Mini Page again and pleading for a copy of the recipe. I received it the day before Anna arrived to bake, so all was good.

Later that day after baking, cleaning up and writing down my cookie baking list for that year (I keep that stuff from year to year, taped inside the cupboard), there is was! The original Spice Cookie recipe with handwritten modification that I had clipped out of the paper the year before! I knew I had put it in a safe place!

Spice Cookies – Holly’s Diner style

1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar, extra for flattening
2 tbsp molasses
1 egg
1 ½ tsp baking soda
2 ½ cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger

1. Mix butter until creamy, and then add sugar, molasses and egg.
2. Sift together the baking soda, flour, cinnamon and ginger.
3. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well.
4. Roll in balls; flatten with bottom of cup, sugared.
5. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350ยบ oven for 10 – 15 minutes

Makes 6 dozen cookies.

These should turn out crispy and crunchy, and delicious!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment