11.24.2009

Ancho Chili Corn Chowder

The Diner is open and in full swing!

Since it’s football season, it’s just time for a pot of something to be cooking on the stove Sunday afternoon. HH wasn’t sure that “soup” qualifies as football food (i.e., “man food”), so wings were added to the menu. Just wings from a bag, no big deal, so no recipe for those.

Anyway, I fixed one of my favorite “soup” recipes; it’s actually chowder, Ancho Chili Corn Chowder to be exact. This recipe originated from Paula Deen Magazine’s November/December 2007 issue, and it’s delicious!

Here’s how it’s fixed Holly’s Diner style:

Ancho Chili Corn Chowder – Holly’s Diner style

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup finely chopped red onions
½ cup finely chopped celery (I don’t care for these, so I don’t put them in)
½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper (these were not on sale, so none this time)
1 (11 oz) can niblet corn, drained (I use 2 cans, this time frozen fresh corn from summer that I saved)
1 (4 ½ oz) can chopped green chilies
1 cup frozen country-style hash-brown potatoes, thawed (I use ½ a bag)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ancho chili powder (this is a mild chili, perfect for my cooking)
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (too strong for HH, so I don’t use it)
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 ½ cups chicken broth
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
Garnish: chopped red bell pepper (again, not on sale this week, so nixed)

In a large saucepan, combine butter and olive oil. Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, corn, green chilies, and potatoes. Cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently, or until vegetables are tender. Add flour, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring to mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream, and cook 5 – 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened slightly. Garnish with chopped red bell pepper, if desired.

(Sometimes I like to let this sit a little longer on the stove, so, in this case, I add more broth – two 14 oz cans worth.)

Enjoy!

PS – I think the picture of this turned out really crappy, but I want you to see the thickness. Please don’t let the picture discourage you from trying it! (Editorial Note: I removed the photo, it just looked so unappetizing. I will try again the next time I make this recipe.)


ABKN7MMAKKCW
86HGXEDRDUR

No comments:

Post a Comment