10.12.2009

The Quest - Part IV

Don’t get too excited, I didn’t find it yet although the search creeps a step closer…

I was searching The Palace in Fresno the other day, an indoor flea market/craft boutique/antique mall, and stumbled across a used books area. The vendor had a whole bookcase of used cookbooks. I thought, perhaps The Quest will be fulfilled! I carefully read each title, but to no avail.

Although, I did stumble across something that I had just read about in The United States of Arugula (I’m re-reading this right now), The New York Times Cook Book by Craig Claiborne published in 1961 – the same year as Mastering the Art of French Cooking (MTAOFC).

I saw the book a few days ago, picked it up, looked at it, put it down, walked away, and then thought about it for two days. Yesterday I went back, it was still there, well seasoned and a first edition issue! I picked it up, “ran” to the cashier and got it for $14!

The Quest has still not been fulfilled, but is finding this historic book in America’s Food Revolution a step in the right direction? I think it is!

The Quest continues…

No comments:

Post a Comment