7.19.2009

Potato Salad

There is a new hit at the Diner – potato salad! I did a test batch and it was gone before I could put it on the menu – HH polished it off!

Here’s the back story…
I DON’T LIKE PICKLES. PERIOD. (There’s a story behind this, but for another time.)

I’m not fond of mustard in my potato salad. I like my potato salad creamy, not tangy. So I have long searched for a potato salad that I like, and about ten years ago I discovered the Red Potato Salad with Dill at Ralph’s Market. This potato salad is in the deli section, but not always available, and it’s expensive.

I have wanted to make my own potato salad for a while, but have not actively looked for a recipe that would suite my taste buds – until this week. It’s summer and time to get back to cooking at the Diner, but something that could be served cool. So I started looking for a recipe that did not include pickles or mustard.

I have a few recipes from family, but they have relish, pickles and one has mustard only – no mayonnaise! What’s up with that?!

I knew mayonnaise would be the base of the creaminess in my potato salad, but I also knew that the flavor I was looking for was a bit softer, not as much “bite” as the mayonnaise would provide. And, viola! Sour cream is the secret ingredient! Now I know I lost some of you with the mayonnaise, and you have completely tuned out with the addition of sour cream. Sorry about that, but that’s how my taste buds work.

For those of you still with me, I decided to make a small batch of potato salad. HH arrived at the Diner and turned his nose up a bit when he heard the ingredients – it was the dill that did him in! He said he likes his Mom’s recipe, but I told him there were pickles and mustard, he said leave out the pickles, and I told him it was MY recipe and I did not want mustard. He did encourage me to include hard boiled eggs like his Mom, which was fine.

I used red potatoes with the skins on, some green onions, hard boiled eggs, sour cream, mayonnaise, black pepper, Hawaiian red sea salt, Old Bay seasoning and some dill. Now THAT’S what I’m talking about! It was perfect!

HH was still a bit skeptical. Then he tried it, he loved it! It was his favorite – well next to his Mom’s, of course. I can live with that. And it was gone within 24 hours.

So today was batch #2. More potatoes, more green onions, more eggs, and measured amounts of seasoning (well, sort of.) And here’s the recipe. Enjoy!

Potato Salad – Holly’s Diner style
9 large red potatoes, cubed to little larger than bite size and cooked to fork tender
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 ½ cups sour cream
1 cup Best Foods mayonnaise (is there any other?!)
(Here’s the tricky part, because it’s to taste…)
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning + one sprinkle at the end to taste
½ tsp ground black pepper + one sprinkle at the end to taste
1 tsp Hawaiian Red Sea Salt (any sea salt would probably be fine)
Dill, a few good sprinkles to taste

Place potatoes, half the green onions, eggs, 1 cup sour cream, mayonnaise, sprinkle 1 tsp Old Bay over top, sprinkle ½ tsp pepper over top, sprinkle sea salt over top to a large bowl. Gently fold together, combining ingredients. Let rest for about five minutes. Add remaining sour cream, gently folding – don’t worry if the potatoes fall apart a little, it will help break down their size. Sprinkle a bit more Old Bay, pepper and dill to taste, just turn into mixture only as necessary. Sprinkle remaining green onions over top. Refrigerate, if you can – HH will hardly let me before he starts digging in!

No comments:

Post a Comment