4.11.2009

Garage Saling

It’s Saturday, garage saling morning at Holly’s Diner. I’ve been garage saling for a long time. First with my dad and step-mom, then with HH – fortunately we both like garaging saling! And it seems we are always on the look out for something, along with those items we just can’t-live-without.

For a number of years I searched garage sales and thrift stores for a set of Pyrex bowls, from the 1960’s I think, they are one red, one blue, one green, one yellow. I would find one or two occasionally, but never all four. I would find a more current edition, but I wanted the classic ones. I found a few at antique stores, but they wanted more money than I wanted to spend. I even discovered after my grandma died that she had a big yellow one, but not the rest of the set.

So, on one of my visits to my friends Art & Donna’s, I came back from the thrift store and Donna asked me what I was searching for. I opened her kitchen cupboard, pointed to her set of beautifully loved Pyrex bowls and said “This. I’m looking for a set just like this, the classic kitchen mixing bowl set.” She pulled the set out of her cupboard and handed them to me. “Here,” she said. I told her I couldn’t, they were her’s. She said that she had another partial set and that it was not a big deal. That this set was actually one she and Art received as a wedding present some 40 years earlier. With that, I adamantly refused and walked out of the kitchen. “Donna, I appreciate the offer, but I can’t take your bowls. I admire them so much, but will find a set of my own.”

By the end of that visit, the bowls were packed and ready for me to take home. She said she would rather someone who would really use them and cherish them to enjoy them know, rather than wait until and have someone not see their value later. I love those bowls, and think of Donna every time I use them. Thank you Donna.

That was the end of my garage sale search for bowls. But I have found other wonderful treasures at garage sales. Like my brand-new spring green ramekin from William Sonoma for 10 cents. And the stainless steel egg pan in perfectly good condition for 25 cents. How about the Kitchen Aid black counter top mixer in fine working order and condition for $40. And most recently the four piece, six settings of Fiestaware in white, navy and chartreuse for $10 – my step-mom found those for me!

As you know, Mastering the Art of French Cooking is my next quest.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story, and you've certainly been scoring some great kitchen finds!

    ReplyDelete