9.20.2008

West Coast Barbeque

Last night we went to West Coast BBQ in La Mesa, one of our favorite! It is not the most glamorous – it’s in a strip mall. It’s not open very long each day – 4 PM – 8 PM daily. I honestly don’t know how they make it based on those hours; it has to be the catering jobs that help sustain them.

We got there just before 6 PM, and the inside was almost full. There are not a lot of tables, probably 15 inside. Last night we chose to sit outside (only three more out there), my Honey offered me the “ocean view.” It was really a view of the parking lot and Lake Murray Blvd, if you close your eyes it can sound like the ocean. It’s either that or a view of the side of the building and into the “for rent” business space next to West Coast BBQ. As I said, not glamorous. But clean friendly, inexpensive and GREAT BBQ!

I had my usual, pulled pork dinner with two sides. The pork is always tender and juicy; the sauce is sweet with a little bit of a kick. The BBQ baked beans are thick, sweet, and delicious. And I had the green salad; I got to have SOME veggies on my plate! Although there is not a lot to say about the salad, it was still very green, dark lettuce not just iceberg with not-my-beautiful-homegrown-tomatoes and a cucumber – everything was fresh.

My honey had his favorite, carnitas. So this carnitas, if you like carnitas, is pretty amazing. All-you-can-eat with tortillas, refried beans, a condiment plate of white onions, tomatoes and cilantro all fresh and delicious looking. All of this for $7.95!

The wait staff is always friendly, attentive, and accommodating – the first couple of times we went I wanted to taste some of the other sides to see if I would like to order them in the future (I’m picky about my coleslaw and red potato salad). They let me sample both, and I’ve ordered the coleslaw on the next visit.

Then to top it all off, they have cobbler – apple, cherry, or peach. I’ve only had the mouthwatering, sinfully delicious peach. Perhaps I should ask for a sample of the others just to see! Oh, and when the new yellow pages get delivered to the house, we look for the “free dessert” –for-everyone-in-your-party coupon – what a deal!

They also have a take-out window, which always seems to have people waiting.

West Coast BBQ pretty much fits all of our criteria for a restaurant – good food, cost effective, close, clean, family owned, and we can use a coupon every now and then! What more could you want!!

No comments:

Post a Comment